WordPress Media Library is Blank or Never Loads Thumbnails
You enter the Add/Choose Image interface from a Customizer or Widget option and click the Media Library tab to view your images and it never loads.
If you are having problems with the upload tab or images not uploading, see WordPress: Image Upload errors or cannot set featured image
Fatal errors you are not seeing will halt processing of functions that come after the problem, breaking various things until the root cause is resolved.
- Go to → (on Multisite, go to Network first)
- Update WordPress if an update is available
- Update all themes. For Layers updates to show, the Layers Updater must be installed. Current version information is shown at the top of this site above the search bar.
- Update all plugins last.
- Run any database updates prompted by your plugins. (For example, WooCommerce will prompt you to update the database)
- Click the Media link in your admin sidebar and note whether the thumbnails appear here normally.
- Return to the customizer and attempt to view the Media Library again from the feature that previously did not work.
If the problem persists:
Try a different way of accessing the Media Library. If you are having issues with the function in a custom Layers widget or customizer control added by a theme or extension, try accessing the Media Library from one of the core Layers options such as the Slider widget Featured Image button, or the Header image upload in Layers Pro Header options, for example.
If you are using a Child Theme:
Go to child theme may be causing the problem. Continue to look for other conflicts:→ and activate Layers, then retest. If the problem is solved, your
If you are using a Layers Extension:
Go to deactivate all plugins, then retest. If this solves it, try reactivating your child theme, if you had one. If the Media Library still works, the problem is likely a conflict between your child theme and a plugin. Reactivate each plugin one at a time and test your Media Library, starting with administrative plugins and activating any Layers Extensions last. If reactivating a specific plugin causes the problem to return, contact the plugin author to report the issue and leave the plugin deactivated.and
See How to troubleshoot common problems in WordPress for more options
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.