How to Update Layers
This guide is for updating the main Layers theme.
To update plugins and extensions, see How to Update Layers Extensions.
If you have a Layers child theme, be sure to read How to Update Layers Child Themes!
When an important fix, new feature or improvement is released for Layers, you will be able to update right from the WordPress Dashboard as long as you have the Layers Updater Plugin activated. Staying on top of updates is important to maintain the stability of your theme.
Install the Updater
- Go to →
- Click the Download Layers Updater link in the right column
- Save the layers-updater.zip to your Desktop.
- Note for Mac Users: Safari may attempt to unzip the file automatically! If your saved file is a folder and not a.zip. go to Safari Preferences and uncheck “Open ‘safe’ files after downloading” on the General tab, then download the file again.
- From the WordPress admin, go to →
- Click on Upload Plugin
- Click on Choose File in the center box and navigate to the to file, select it and click Open
- Click Install Now
- When complete, click Activate Plugin
Check for Updates
WordPress will typically notify you of any updates available, but you can check yourself under→
If an update for Layers is available, it will appear under the “Themes” section.
You may view detailed notes about what changed in the update from the update link on the Layers Dashboard. For developers, view the commits over on GitHub.
Apply the Update (Single)
- Check the box to the left of the Layers thumbnail
- Click the Update Themes button
To update Layers on a multi-site install, Network Admins can go to→ →
Apply the Update (Multi-site)
Click Update Now in the New Version notice in the Layers row
If you need to update manually, you may download the latest version from our Download link, then upload it via FTP
- Download the updated theme zip from http://layerswp.com
- Unzip it to your Desktop
- Connect to your site via FTP
- Upload the layerswp folder to wp-content/themes/ and confirm overwrite of all existing files
Make sure you upload the whole thing and do not partially update! This can lead to unexpected results and potentially break your site.
If you are using a Layers Child theme, you may also need to update it separately. The safest method is to update the child theme using the above manual FTP method. If you created the child theme yourself or downloaded it from a 3rd Party, you will need to check with the theme author for their update process. See How to Update Layers Child Themes for specific instructions.
If you have modified Layers, updating will overwrite any changes. The main theme should never be modified directly, but use a child theme instead. Visit our Theming section for help and advice on how to get started with child themes. If your changes were CSS only, transfer just your additions and changes to the CSS box under →
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.