Site or layouts broken after updating to 1.5
Layers 1.5 was released after a 2 week beta period where a release candidate was made publicly available for developers and designers to test with. We also provided a developer update guide detailing the changes that need to be made to extensions and child themes. If you missed the email, please ensure your contact information is accurate on Envato’s website, are signed up to our mailing list or have identified as a developer in Layers Messenger so you receive them in the future.
1.5 introduces a new grid system. If not implemented in your theme or extensions, your site may end up with broken alignments. Any custom CSS you have written must also be debugged and adjusted to target current selectors, as some dependencies have changed.
- Expand the Layers Release 1.5 button above the search bar above and read through the update notes. You can receive notifications of updates by subscribing to our blog RSS or via GitHub
- Ensure all plugins and extensions are updated. CodeCanyon items need to be updated from your Envato dashboard.
- Layers Pro and StoreKit have both received updates and must also be reinstalled to work with 1.5
- If you updated from a version other than 1.2.12 or higher, review the notes for all the versions between your last version and this one. If your pages are blank, see this article.
- If you have a child theme you did not make, check for an update.
- If updates are not available, contact the theme or plugin author and ask for an update ASAP. You may need to reinstall the 1.2.14 version of Layers until your theme author provides and update.
- If you have a child theme or custom code, see the Layers 1.5 Developer Update Guide
- If you are not a full developer but only have some custom code in DevKit or the CSS panel, you need to debug this yourself. We are not able to recreate tutorials or customizations that no longer work by reqest. We will be reviewing all tutorial submissions and other tips in the coming weeks and adjusting them as needed. If you need help with customizations, please post to the Community Forum or see the customization resources in the sidebar on that page.
Avoid update issues in the future with a backup plugin or service such as ManageWP. See How to Backup Layers for tips.
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.