Rayne User Guide
Rayne is a stylish blog theme, originally developed by Bright Levels and recently acquired by Layers.
Below are links to helpful articles to get you going with this child theme. The setup order is important to ensure the content you need is present prior to diving into presets and page building.
- Install Layers
- Install Rayne
- Load Demo Content (download here)
- Create New Pages from your favorite Presets
Step 1: Install Layers
Your Child Theme is a collection of styles, presets and templates for the Layers theme framework, which is free to install. View the Layers Install Guide
Step 2: Install and Activate RayneTheme
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to ADD NEW at the top and click
- Click the UPLOAD THEME button at the top
- Click the BROWSE button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your layers-concept-living-theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click INSTALL NOW to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Getting Started screen.
- Wait before installing any page presets! You must install and configure plugins and demo content first to ensure products load! Proceed with the next section to setup your shop.
Step 3: Load Demo Content (optional)
Layers themes use Presets instead of traditional demo content that you load via an XML, but we do provide this file if you do not have any existing Product content and want to rapidly setup Presets. You can find the Rayne Demo Content listed in your profile on the Layers website.
The XML will not setup widgets, customizer settings or plugins, it will only auto-load posts, products and images.
Some presets use the Posts widget, which grab posts by ID. The widget content may appear blank if you do not use our demo file. You may need to configure the widgets with your own product post content, as IDs are unique to each WordPress install.
Step 4: Add Preset Pages
Finally, time for the fun part!
- Go to LAYERS → ADD NEW PAGE
- Select a Rayne preset, such as Home and click SELECT
- You will be brought to the EDIT LAYOUT screen of the Customizer. Here you may proceed to edit the widget content by expanding each one
- For more detailed help with using Layers and Layers widgets, be sure to review the main user guides:
Step 5: Customize & Configure
This section provides some recommended setups for your Customizer to help you mimic our demo. To begin, go to LAYERS → CUSTOMIZE
Logo & Title
Our demo uses a basic Site Title and Tagline with “Display Header Text” checked and a Logo Image uploaded.
You should create at least 3 menus:
- Main Menu – Assign to the Header Menu location. Drop-downs are supported.
- Social Menu – Assign to the Top-Right location. We recommend placing social links in this menu. This menu is intended to be a utility, no drop-downs are supported.
- Useful Links Menu – Assign to the Footer location. We recommend adding social links, plus your Contact and About pages if you have them.
If you have installed Layers Pro, you can add social link icons and your profile URLs by using the Custom Link option in the Appearance/ Menu builder.
Save your customizer changes and return to the WordPress admin, then go to→
Create a new menu called “Social” and assign to the Top-Right or Top-Left location.
Our demo uses the Logo Center Top layout with Sticky and Show Search enabled (available with Layers Pro).
Our demo has no Footer Columns. You can however set this to 1 – 4 columns. The widgets we recommend under the Footer panel in Edit Layout are:
- Column 1: Text Widget
- Column 2: Recent Posts (if you have a blog setup)
- Column 3: Recent Comments (if you have a blog setup)
Rayne is a premium product with dedicated support offered through Layers Messenger. To enable the messenger, go to Layers –> Dashboard and check the box on the far right in the Messenger panel. Alternatively you can reach us via our support page on our site: Layers Support
Extending Your Theme
Want full color customization, accordions, call to action bars and blog options? Check out Layers Pro!
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.