Peak User Guide
Peak is a clean, minimal portfolio child theme, built to harness the power of Layers and Showcase. It offers modern visual appeal and simplicity, with the addition of Layers building widgets for even more layout control.
Below are links to helpful articles to get you going with this child theme. The setup order is important to ensure the content you need is present prior to diving into presets and page building.
- Install Layers
- Install Showcase
- Install Peak
- Load Demo Content
- Create New Pages from your favorite Presets
Step 1: Install Layers
Your Child Theme is a collection of styles, presets and templates for the Layers theme framework, which is free to install. View the Layers Install Guide
Step 2: Setup Showcase
This theme’s demo uses the Showcase extension for portfolio/project functionality and needs to be installed and configured first.
Showcase is a Layers extension that adds additional Portfolio functionality to Layers.
- Go to →
- Click UPLOAD PLUGIN
- BROWSE to the showcase-extension.zip file and open it
- Click INSTALL
- Activate once the installation has finished
View the Showcase User Guide for detailed setup and usage instructions.
Your theme can be used without any WordPress plugins, but is greatly enhanced both by extensions packaged with the theme, and a few select free plugins we use on the theme demo. The following steps are recommended if you do not have existing plugins to fill these roles or are setting up a new site.
- Optional: On the Add New Plugin screen, search for Contact Form 7 and install and activate it. This is the most popular contact form plugin, used on the Contact page, and is easy to configure.
Step 3: Install and Activate Peak Theme
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to ADD NEW at the top and click
- Click the UPLOAD THEME button at the top
- Click the BROWSE button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your layers-concept-living-theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click INSTALL NOW to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Getting Started screen.
- Wait before installing any page presets! You must install and configure plugins and demo content first to ensure products load! Proceed with the next section to setup your shop.
Step 4: Load Demo Content (optional)
Layers themes use Presets instead of traditional demo content that you load via an XML, but we do provide this file if you do not have any existing Product content and want to rapidly setup Presets. You can find this file inside the Themeforest zip package.
The XML will not setup widgets, customizer settings or plugins, it will only auto-load posts, products and images.
Some presets use the Showcase Project widget, which grab projects by ID. The widget content may appear blank if you do not use our demo file. You may need to configure the widgets with your own product post content, as IDs are unique to each WordPress install.
Step 5: Add Preset Pages
Finally, time for the fun part!
- Go to LAYERS → ADD NEW PAGE
- Select a Peak preset, such as Home and click SELECT
- You will be brought to the Edit Layout screen of the Customizer. Here you may proceed to edit the widget content by expanding each one
- For more detailed help with using Layers and Layers widgets, be sure to review the main user guides:
Step 6: Customize & Configure
This section provides some recommended setups for your Customizer to help you mimic our demo. To begin, go to LAYERS → CUSTOMIZE
Logo & Title
Our demo uses a basic Site Title and Tagline with “Display Header Text” checked and a Logo Image uploaded.
The Peak demo uses a TypeKit font called Museo Sans Rounded but there are lots of alternative Google Fonts to choose from if you don’t want to rely on TypeKit. We recommend Roboto Condensed as a decent alternative.
You should create at least 3 menus:
- Header – Assign to the Header Menu location. Drop-downs are supported.
- Top – Assign to the Top-Right location. We recommend placing social links in this menu. This menu is intended to be a utility, no drop-downs are supported.
- Footer – Assign to the Footer location. We recommend adding social links, plus your Contact and About pages if you have them.
If you have installed Layers Pro, you can add social link icons and your profile URLs by using the Custom Link option in the Appearance/ Menu builder.
Save your customizer changes and return to the WordPress admin, then go to→
Create a new menu called “Social” and assign to the Top-Right or Top-Left location.
Our demo uses the Header Sidebar layout with Show Search enabled (available with Layers Pro).
Our demo has no Footer Columns. You can however set this to 1 – 4 columns. The widgets we recommend under the Footer panel in Edit Layout are:
- Column 1: Text Widget
- Column 2: Recent Posts (if you have a blog setup)
- Column 3: Recent Comments (if you have a blog setup)
Peak and Showcase are premium products with dedicated support offered through Layers Messenger. To enable the messenger, go to Layers –> Dashboard and check the box on the far right in the Messenger panel.
Extending Your Theme
Want full color customization, accordions, call to action bars and blog options? Check out Layers Pro!
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.