Lace & Sole User Guide
The Lace & Sole Child Theme by Obox is an official child theme for Layers designed for use with the free WooCommerce plugin. Our child themes are for presentaion only – it does not include any special functionality beyond what Layers already provides. The Lace & Sole Demo uses StoreKit for advanced customization of the Shop and Product pages. StoreKit is a Layers extension that provides additional funcitonality, such as the Product Widget for the builder pages. StoreKit is optional and not required.
Below are links to helpful articles to get you going with this child theme.
Step 1: Install Layers
View the Layers Install Guide
Step 2: Install the Child Theme
Layers Child Themes provide alternative styling, layouts and enhanced presentation for your Layers website. Unlike a Style Kit, they are packaged into their own theme file that may include preset layouts, templates and additional scripting.
Layers Child Themes install and activate just like any WordPress theme, but are dependent on a parent or theme framework to be installed first. In the case of Layers Child Themes, you must have Layers already installed, but it does not need to be activated.
Special Note for Themeforest customers:
If you downloaded a Layers Child Theme from ThemeForest, be sure to unzip that file to your desktop. The Child Theme’s .zip used to install the theme via WordPress is located inside the themename-package folder.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to Add New at the top and click
- Click the Upload Theme button at the top
- Click the Browse button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your Layers theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click Install Now to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started screen.
- Take a minute to go through the wizard and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages.
- Unzip the Layers theme zip file to your Desktop (or any easy-to-find location) to find the theme folder, ie "layerswp"
- If you are on a Mac and you are seeing extra words or an extension on the folder, open that folder to find the actual layerswp theme folder folder!
- Connect to your web space using an FTP client and browse to wp-content/themes
- Drag the theme folder from your computer into the themes directory window.
- Mac Users: Make sure that the path is wp-content/themes/layerswp/ and not wp-content/themes/layers_package/layerswp or similar as this will cause some functions to break.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel and go to →
- Hover over the Layers theme thumbnail and click the Activate button
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started page. Take a moment to go through the dialog and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages. after selecting a starting layout.
Step 3: Install and Setup WooCommerce
This step is optional if you are not using Lace & Sole as an online store.
For help installing and configuring WooCommerce for Layers, visit the WooCommerce Install Guide
Also check out How to Setup an Online Store with Layers for other great tips!
Optional: Setup StoreKit
This step is optional, but well worth the time and investment. StoreKit adds additional functionality to Layers such as shop and product customization, product widgets for your builder pages and a header cart, bringing the grand total cost of a site worth more than $1000 to less than a traditional premium theme!
Layers themes use Presets instead of traditional demo content. You can install these pages under Layers → Add New Page.
WooCommerce also offers some starter product content to populate your store and give you an idea of how products are put together. See Importing WooCommerce Content for details and how to load it into WordPress.
The following extensions greatly enhance Layers in general and can help you turn your theme into anything from a standard shop to a booking website for a photography studio!
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.