Journal Child Theme Setup Guide
Journal is a flexible creative blogging child theme, built to harness the customization power of Layers. It offers modern visual appeal and simplicity, with the addition of Layers building widgets for even more layout control.
Below are the steps you need to get going with this child theme. The setup order is important to ensure the content you need is present prior to diving into presets and page building.
- Install Layers
- Install Journal
- Install Required Plugins
- Create New Pages from your favorite Presets
Step 1: Install Layers
Your Child Theme is a collection of styles, presets and templates for the Layers theme framework, which is free to install. View the Layers Install Guide if you haven’t set it up yet.
Step 2: Install and Activate Your Child Theme
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to ADD NEW at the top and click
- Click the UPLOAD THEME button at the top
- Click the BROWSE button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your adeline-theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click INSTALL NOW to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Getting Started screen.
- Wait before installing any page presets! You must install and configure plugins and demo content first to ensure products load!
Step 3: Recommended Plugins
When you activate Journal, you will be brought to a Welcome page with a notice at the top to install the required Builder Widgets plugin.
- Click Begin installing plugins
- Click Install under the Builder Widgets plugin. When complete, click Return to required plugins installer
- The remaining plugins listed are not required and only need to be installed if you want that functionality on your site.
- When finished, return to the welcome page under →
Layers Pro unlocks additional customization options in Layers and adds new widgets. If you are looking for a way to change the look and feel of Audaz, Layers Pro makes it much easier. Learn More here.
Audaz uses normal posts on the demo for its portfolio. The Showcase extension for Layers adds portfolio widgets and a custom post type, with a simple filterable portfolio that can also be used as a lightbox gallery, which greatly extends the portfolio features you see on the demo. Check it out here.
Step 4: Configure WordPress
Journal Layers Theme depends on a few settings for optimal content presentation and functionality:
- Go to → and ensure anything but the default is selected. Post Name is recommended
- Go to
→ and ensure your settings are as follows:
- Thumbnails: This is up to you, but we recommend 300×300
- Medium: 800 wide and 9999 tall.
- Large: 1200 wide and 9999 tall.
- Uncheck the crop box
- If you have images in WordPress already, you will need to Regenerate your Images
Step 5: Load Presets
Layers themes use Presets instead of traditional demo content that you load via the importer.
- Go to LAYERS → ADD NEW PAGE
- Select a preset, such as Home and click SELECT
- You will be brought to the EDIT LAYOUT screen of the Customizer. Here you may proceed to edit the widget content by expanding each one
- For more detailed help with using Layers and Layers widgets, be sure to review the main user guides:
Note: If you had Layers setup previously or are switching from a different child theme, your previous color settings may carry over and overwrite the Journal defaults.
Step 6: Customize & Configure
To customize your theme or page layouts, go to LAYERS → CUSTOMIZE
Your theme is a premium product with dedicated support offered through Layers Messenger if you have setup or usage questions. To enable the messenger, go to LAYERS → and check the box on the far right in the Messenger panel. Questions about CSS customization or modification should be directed to our Community forums.
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.