Before You Begin
Layers is a theme framework built for the self-hosted, WordPress.org publishing platform. For help installing WordPress, see How to Install and Setup WordPress on Your Own Web Host
If you have an existing WordPress install with content, back it up!
Layers depends on a few settings for optimal content presentation and functionality:
- Go to anything but the default is selected. Post Name is recommended → and ensure
- Go to
→ and ensure your settings are as follows:
- Thumbnails: This is up to you, but we recommend 300×300
- Medium: 600 wide and 9999 tall. This creates a 600px wide scaled version of uploaded images that are larger than 600px and is used by Layers in your widgets in some configurations.
- Large: You can leave this be or change the height to 9999 to ensure portrait oriented images are never cropped.
- If you have images in WordPress already, you will need to Regenerate your Images
Layers can be downloaded from http://layerswp.com
Safari users take care to ensure Safe Downloads is not enabled in your Preferences. When the download is complete, you should have a zip file on your desktop if you plan to install via WordPress.
Make sure you have a fresh download before you begin.
How do you want to install it?
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to Add New at the top and click
- Click the Upload Theme button at the top
- Click the Browse button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your Layers theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click Install Now to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started screen.
- Take a minute to go through the wizard and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages.
- Unzip the Layers theme zip file to your Desktop (or any easy-to-find location) to find the theme folder, ie “layerswp”
- If you are on a Mac and you are seeing extra words or an extension on the folder, open that folder to find the actual layerswp theme folder folder!
- Connect to your web space using an FTP client and browse to wp-content/themes
- Drag the theme folder from your computer into the themes directory window.
- Mac Users: Make sure that the path is wp-content/themes/layerswp/ and not wp-content/themes/layers_package/layerswp or similar as this will cause some functions to break.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel and go to →
- Hover over the Layers theme thumbnail and click the Activate button
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started page. Take a moment to go through the dialog and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages. after selecting a starting layout.
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.