How to Move from WordPress.com to a Self-hosted WordPress.org install
WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress installs are very different. You will have access to a lot more options and controls than you did previously. If you are new to self-hosted installs, please take some time to go over Getting Started With WordPress to learn the ins and outs of your new admin panel.
Themes on WordPress.com are also fundamentally different than self-hosted WordPress themes, including those offered by Obox and Layers on both platforms.
Transferring the Data
- Export your content from your wordpress.com blog.
- Install WordPress on your own host.
- Install and Activate Layers
- Import your wordpress.com content.
Adjusting Your Content
Continue through your theme setup per the documentation, making any necessary changes to your category structure, adding new content, or editing menus.
Next, you may need to edit your posts to adjust how things like featured images and videos display, depending on your WordPress.com theme.
- Under Posts, edit a post and check the post body for images or video links you intend to use as the featured image or video and remove them
- Add the featured image using the WordPress Featured Image option if needed. For featured video, add the video url to the Layers Media box below the post editor.
- Install the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin(search for it under → , then run it from → . This resets all pre-existing images to fit the new theme specifications and allows the image ratio options in widgets to work with existing content.
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.