How to Install Layers Child Themes
Layers Child Themes provide alternative styling, layouts and enhanced presentation for your Layers website. Unlike a Style Kit, they are packaged into their own theme file that may include preset layouts, templates and additional scripting.
Layers Child Themes install and activate just like any WordPress theme, but are dependent on a parent or theme framework to be installed first. In the case of Layers Child Themes, you must have Layers already installed, but it does not need to be activated.
Special Note for Themeforest customers:
If you downloaded a Layers Child Theme from ThemeForest, be sure to unzip that file to your desktop. The Child Theme’s .zip used to install the theme via WordPress is located inside the themename-package folder.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to Add New at the top and click
- Click the Upload Theme button at the top
- Click the Browse button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your Layers theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click Install Now to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started screen.
- Take a minute to go through the wizard and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages.
- Unzip the Layers theme zip file to your Desktop (or any easy-to-find location) to find the theme folder, ie "layerswp"
- If you are on a Mac and you are seeing extra words or an extension on the folder, open that folder to find the actual layerswp theme folder folder!
- Connect to your web space using an FTP client and browse to wp-content/themes
- Drag the theme folder from your computer into the themes directory window.
- Mac Users: Make sure that the path is wp-content/themes/layerswp/ and not wp-content/themes/layers_package/layerswp or similar as this will cause some functions to break.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel and go to →
- Hover over the Layers theme thumbnail and click the Activate button
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started page. Take a moment to go through the dialog and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages. after selecting a starting layout.
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.