How to Add Galleries to Layers Content Widget Columns
WordPress has a built-in Gallery tool in your Media Library that helps you build thumbnail grids you can place anywhere with a shortcode, including widgets, providing a quick and easy way to build portfolios or projects inside Layers pages that do not require their own content columns or additional pages.
- Click → .
- Click Add Media
- Click Create Gallery on the left menu
- Click to check each image you want to add to your gallery. If your widget has a featured image, you do not need to include it in the gallery.
- Click Create New Gallery at lower-right
- In the Link To drop-down, choose Media File
- Choose the number of columns – this is best divided equally between your total images. For example, if your gallery has 4 images, choose 4 or 2 columns, not 3.
- Choose the image size. For Content Widget columns, thumbnail works best. For larger scale, you may wish to choose Medium.
- Click Insert Gallery
- This will insert the shortcode into your editor. Copy it and then head into
- You do not need to publish or finish editing the the page – it will be a draft and can be reused in the future to format other content or build other shortcodes to copy elsewhere.
Add Shortcode to Widget
- Visit the Layers page where you want to insert the gallery
- Click Edit Layout
- Add a new widget such as a Content Widget or Tabs widget. We really don’t recommend adding large galleries to Sliders, though you can try it if you only have a few thumbnails.
- Place your cursor into the column/tab/slide content area and paste the shortcode where you want the gallery to appear.
Your thumbnails will open in new browser tabs unless you have a lightbox plugin installed.
See How to Open Images In Lightbox or Zoom Images in Layers Content Widget for tips on choosing a lightbox plugin and linking your featured images to a lightbox. Just about all lightbox plugins will open your Gallery thumbnails in the lightbox automatically with no additional tweaking needed.
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.