Play Child Theme User Guide
The Play Child Theme by Obox is an official child theme for Layers designed for creatives of all kinds and features 32 page presets, 3 Layers Extensions, graphics and icon sets to make site building even faster and easier.
Below are links to helpful articles to get you going with this child theme.
Step 1: Install- Layers User Guide
View the Layers Install Guide
Step 2: Install the Child Theme
Layers Child Themes provide alternative styling, layouts and enhanced presentation for your Layers website. Unlike a Style Kit, they are packaged into their own theme file that may include preset layouts, templates and additional scripting.
Layers Child Themes install and activate just like any WordPress theme, but are dependent on a parent or theme framework to be installed first. In the case of Layers Child Themes, you must have Layers already installed, but it does not need to be activated.
Special Note for Themeforest customers:
If you downloaded a Layers Child Theme from ThemeForest, be sure to unzip that file to your desktop. The Child Theme’s .zip used to install the theme via WordPress is located inside the themename-package folder.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to Add New at the top and click
- Click the Upload Theme button at the top
- Click the Browse button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your Layers theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click Install Now to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started screen.
- Take a minute to go through the wizard and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages.
- Unzip the Layers theme zip file to your Desktop (or any easy-to-find location) to find the theme folder, ie "layerswp"
- If you are on a Mac and you are seeing extra words or an extension on the folder, open that folder to find the actual layerswp theme folder folder!
- Connect to your web space using an FTP client and browse to wp-content/themes
- Drag the theme folder from your computer into the themes directory window.
- Mac Users: Make sure that the path is wp-content/themes/layerswp/ and not wp-content/themes/layers_package/layerswp or similar as this will cause some functions to break.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel and go to →
- Hover over the Layers theme thumbnail and click the Activate button
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started page. Take a moment to go through the dialog and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages. after selecting a starting layout.
Optional: Setup ColorKit
Optional: Setup DevKit
View the DevKit User Guide
Play uses the StoreKit extension for the menu cart and product widgets seen on the Play demo’s Shop pages, which require WooCommerce to be installed and configured first.
Optional: Install and Setup WooCommerce
This step is optional if you are not using this theme as an online store.
For help installing and configuring WooCommerce for Layers, visit the WooCommerce Install Guide
Also check out How to Setup an Online Store with Layers for other great tips!
Optional: Setup StoreKit
This step is optional, but well worth the time and investment. StoreKit adds additional functionality to Layers such as shop and product customization, product widgets for your builder pages and a header cart, bringing the grand total cost of a site worth more than $1000 to less than a traditional premium theme!
StoreKit is included in Play and found in your Themeforest zip file as storekit-extension.zip
View the StoreKit User Guide
Play Demo Content
Layers themes use Presets instead of traditional demo content that you load via an XML, but we do provide this file if you want to rapidly setup a copy of our demo site, and is found inside the Themeforest zip package. Note that this will add over 35 pages which can significantly slow your Customizer! The XML also will not setup widgets, customizer settings or plugins, it will only auto-load posts, products and page content.
You can install just the Layers Page Presets you want under LAYERS → ADD NEW PAGE
The Shop Page demo uses the StoreKit product widgets, which grab Product posts by ID. You will need to configure the widgets with your own product post content, as IDs are unique to each WordPress install and will not carry over in demo content.
WooCommerce offers some starter product content to populate your store and give you an idea of how products are put together. See the Importing WooCommerce Content for details and how to load it into WordPress.
Our demo also makes use of Layers Pro to add Social Links to the footer.
Did you know?
Our friends at Jetpack are doing some incredible work to improve the WordPress experience. Check out Jetpack and improve your site's security, speed and reliability.