Layers 2 Update Troubleshooting Guide
This guide covers these common issues if you have just updated to Layers 2 / Layers Pro 2:
- Layers pages are blank
- Cannot save changes in customizer
- Visual issues with 3rd party Layers widgets
- Visual issues with child themes
- Can’t delete widget
- Save button missing
- Close button missing
Fixes and compatibility updates are pushed frequently, so be sure to check for a recent update even if you just updated to Layers a day or week ago. Updates should appear under Dashboard > Updates as long as the Layers Updater plugin is installed. See How to Update Layers
Update Your Plugins
- Go to Plugins and Update all of your plugins. If you have premium plugins such as Layers Pro, DevKit or StoreKit, you must download fresh copies, deactivate them, delete them, then upload the new versions and activate them. This will not lose any settings, however Layers Pro 2 introduces many new controls to your widgets that should be double-checked. Yes, you need to do this even if you just updated Layers Pro (we have pushed fixes since 2.0 came out)
- Layers Pro should be at 2.0.1+, DevKit at 1.5+ and StoreKit at 1.1.1+. 3rd Party Layers plugins must be updated for Layers 2 compatibility to ensure compatibility.
- See How to Update Layers Extensions for more help
Update Your Child Themes
- Check for an update with your theme author where you purchased the theme and install it if available.
- Go to Appearance > Themes and activate the main Layers theme. If this solves your issues, please contact your theme author to ensure the theme is Layers 2 compatible
Check Plugin Conflicts
Sometimes plugins introduce scripts or functions that throw errors you can’t see that break the customizer or Layers template. Common culprits include Bootstrap Shortcodes, WP External Links, WP Subscribe or other plugins that attempt to modify the customizer or pull in dynamic content to your widgets.
- Go to Plugins and deactivate all plugins.
- Check your pages again. If the issue is resolved, you will need to test activating each plugin one at a time until you find the one that breaks the page content.
- The offending plugin will need to be replaced or updated. See below for a workaround with Layers Pro animations.
Layers Pro 2 introduces animations that may conflict with a plugin, custom script or child theme that has not been coded for compatibility or which attempts to load the same functionality. This will cause Layers pages to not load.
- Go to Appearance > Customize
- Click Site Settings
- Toggle Enable Site Wide Animations and Enable Smooth Scroll to the off position (gray)
- If you have custom scripting or plugins that add animations or smooth scroll, you may deactivate them or remove the script, then toggle these features ON to test as well.
Verify Server Compatibility
Your server should be running PHP 5.6, NOT PHP 7 or any beta version of PHP. Most hosts allow you to set this yourself in your hosting control panel. If you are unsure, and none of the above has helped, contact your host to verify the PHP version and settings. Ideally, the PHP max_vars should also be set to 3000.