How to Update Layers Child Themes
Layers Child Themes are best updated manually unless the author has provided you with an auto-update plugin that will not interfere with the Layers parent theme.
If you purchased your Child Theme on ThemeForest, ensure your email notifications are setup so you are emailed when a new version is uploaded. You may also subscribe to our Updates RSS feed here to get notified on updates of Layers and products created by Obox.
Get Access to Updates
If you have purchased a Child Theme created by Obox, redeem your purchase code on layerswp.com to gain access to updates, special bundles and discounts, and dedicated support. You can view our list of products here.
To access updates from our site, login and click the Download button under the item you want to save the updated zip file to your desktop.
If you have purchased your Child Theme from an independent website or author on Themeforest, check with the author for update info. Examples of independently authored themes are:
Update Layers First
- Go to → and activate the main Layers theme.
- Go to Layers → and verify you have the Layers Updater Plugin installed. Refer to How to Update Layers
- Go to → from your main WordPress admin menu. If an update for Layers is available, you will see it listed in the Themes section. Apply any updates needed.
Reinstall via WordPress
Often the quickest route. Note this will overwrite any modifications you may have made directly to child theme files.
- Go to → and ensure the main Layers theme is activated.
- Click on the child theme’s thumbnail and click Delete in the lower-right corner. Confirm deletion. Don’t worry, this does not affect your content, presets or widgets!
- Install the Child Theme using the updated zip and Activate it.
Update Manually via FTP (advanced)
If you need to update outside of WordPress for any reason, you can do so by overwritin the child theme folder with the new one via FTP. Your host provides you with FTP file access to your webspace via a free program such as FileZilla, or through your hosting control panel. If this option sounds daunting, see the Reinstall method above.
- Download your updated Child Theme package and unzip it to your desktop. You should have a theme folder (ex. layers-coffee) containing a style.css and other theme content.
- If downloading from themeforest, open the themename-package folder to find the updated theme zip (themeforest).
- Connect to your site via FTP
- Upload the child theme’s themename folder you unzipped in step 2 to wp-content/themes
- You should be asked to confirm overwriting of this folder and its contents. Confirm the overwrite.