How to Setup Your Google API Key
This solution requires you to update Layers to 1.5.6 or later.
API keys are special passphrases that allow websites on your domain to connect to an application interface to make use of its features. Not all APIs require keys, but some do in order to handle authentication or to keep their platforms safe from being compromised. You can setup your own Google API Key for use with any Google application, including map plugins in WordPress, the Layers Contact widget and fonts, etc. This service is absolutely free.
The following steps take you through creating a Browser Key for use with widgets and plugins (you only need one):
- Follow this link and click on Get a key
- Agree with the service Terms of Service
- Choose a name for your new key and specify the websites on which the key usage will be allowed. If you don’t need any website restriction, just put an * in that field (but don’t leave it blank, unless you are having issues with *! See comments for further information). Your website domain should be entered like www.yoursite.com
- Then click on Create
- Copy your brand new API key, and click OK. You can access this from your “Projects”dashboard anytime.
- Ensure Layers is updated to 1.5.5
- Go to Site Settings, then Additional Scripts. Paste the key in the Google Maps API Key field and Save Changes. → and expand
- If you have additional plugins that require a Google API Key, you may paste the same key into those plugin options fields.