How to Add Galleries to Layers Content Widget Columns
WordPress has a built-in Gallery tool in your Media Library that helps you build thumbnail grids you can place anywhere with a shortcode, including widgets, providing a quick and easy way to build portfolios or projects inside Layers pages that do not require their own content columns or additional pages.
- Click → .
- Click Add Media
- Click Create Gallery on the left menu
- Click to check each image you want to add to your gallery. If your widget has a featured image, you do not need to include it in the gallery.
- Click Create New Gallery at lower-right
- In the Link To drop-down, choose Media File
- Choose the number of columns – this is best divided equally between your total images. For example, if your gallery has 4 images, choose 4 or 2 columns, not 3.
- Choose the image size. For Content Widget columns, thumbnail works best. For larger scale, you may wish to choose Medium.
- Click Insert Gallery
- This will insert the shortcode into your editor. Copy it and then head into
- You do not need to publish or finish editing the the page – it will be a draft and can be reused in the future to format other content or build other shortcodes to copy elsewhere.
Add Shortcode to Widget
- Visit the Layers page where you want to insert the gallery
- Click Edit Layout
- Add a new widget such as a Content Widget or Tabs widget. We really don’t recommend adding large galleries to Sliders, though you can try it if you only have a few thumbnails.
- Place your cursor into the column/tab/slide content area and paste the shortcode where you want the gallery to appear.
Your thumbnails will open in new browser tabs unless you have a lightbox plugin installed.
See How to Open Images In Lightbox or Zoom Images in Layers Content Widget for tips on choosing a lightbox plugin and linking your featured images to a lightbox. Just about all lightbox plugins will open your Gallery thumbnails in the lightbox automatically with no additional tweaking needed.