Child Theme User Guide
This guide offers general help with installing and updating child themes for Layers. For specific usage guides for your Child Theme, checkout the Product Guides menu above or check your theme’s product page on Themeforest for where to find documentation and support.
Layers Child Themes provide alternative styling, layouts and enhanced presentation for your Layers website. Unlike a Style Kit, they are packaged into their own theme file that may include preset layouts, templates and additional scripting.
Layers Child Themes install and activate just like any WordPress theme, but are dependent on a parent or theme framework to be installed first. In the case of Layers Child Themes, you must have Layers already installed, but it does not need to be activated.
Special Note for Themeforest customers:
If you downloaded a Layers Child Theme from ThemeForest, be sure to unzip that file to your desktop. The Child Theme’s .zip used to install the theme via WordPress is located inside the themename-package folder.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel, go to Add New at the top and click
- Click the Upload Theme button at the top
- Click the Browse button inside the center white box (Choose File on some browsers)and navigate to the location of your Layers theme zip file.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click Install Now to begin the installation.
- Wait for the success message, then click the Activate link.
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started screen.
- Take a minute to go through the wizard and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages.
- Unzip the Layers theme zip file to your Desktop (or any easy-to-find location) to find the theme folder, ie "layerswp"
- If you are on a Mac and you are seeing extra words or an extension on the folder, open that folder to find the actual layerswp theme folder folder!
- Connect to your web space using an FTP client and browse to wp-content/themes
- Drag the theme folder from your computer into the themes directory window.
- Mac Users: Make sure that the path is wp-content/themes/layerswp/ and not wp-content/themes/layers_package/layerswp or similar as this will cause some functions to break.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel and go to →
- Hover over the Layers theme thumbnail and click the Activate button
- You will be directed to the Layers Getting Started page. Take a moment to go through the dialog and continue with the next article Page Building & Homepages. after selecting a starting layout.
Layers Child Themes are best updated manually unless the author has provided you with an auto-update plugin that will not interfere with the Layers parent theme.
If you purchased your Child Theme on ThemeForest, ensure your email notifications are setup so you are emailed when a new version is uploaded. You may also subscribe to our Updates RSS feed here to get notified on updates of Layers and products created by Obox.
Get Access to Updates
If you have purchased a Child Theme created by Obox, redeem your purchase code on layerswp.com to gain access to updates, special bundles and discounts, and dedicated support. You can view our list of products here.
To access updates from our site, login and click the Download button under the item you want to save the updated zip file to your desktop.
If you have purchased your Child Theme from an independent website or author on Themeforest, check with the author for update info. Examples of independently authored themes are:
Update Layers First
- Go to → and activate the main Layers theme.
- Go to Layers → and verify you have the Layers Updater Plugin installed. Refer to How to Update Layers
- Go to → from your main WordPress admin menu. If an update for Layers is available, you will see it listed in the Themes section. Apply any updates needed.
Reinstall via WordPress
Often the quickest route. Note this will overwrite any modifications you may have made directly to child theme files.
- Go to → and ensure the main Layers theme is activated.
- Click on the child theme’s thumbnail and click Delete in the lower-right corner. Confirm deletion. Don’t worry, this does not affect your content, presets or widgets!
- Install the Child Theme using the updated zip and Activate it.
Update Manually via FTP (advanced)
If you need to update outside of WordPress for any reason, you can do so by overwritin the child theme folder with the new one via FTP. Your host provides you with FTP file access to your webspace via a free program such as FileZilla, or through your hosting control panel. If this option sounds daunting, see the Reinstall method above.
- Download your updated Child Theme package and unzip it to your desktop. You should have a theme folder (ex. layers-coffee) containing a style.css and other theme content.
- If downloading from themeforest, open the themename-package folder to find the updated theme zip (themeforest).
- Connect to your site via FTP
- Upload the child theme’s themename folder you unzipped in step 2 to wp-content/themes
- You should be asked to confirm overwriting of this folder and its contents. Confirm the overwrite.
For detailed help with Layers and Layers widgets, plus tips and tutorials for customizing your theme, visit http://docs.layerswp.com/setup-guide/
Check out our Self-Help and troubleshooting documentation to see if your issue is Layers related or already answered.
Still need human help? Visit http://docs.layerswp.com and click on Premium Support